Do positive affirmations work?
Because I am a Christian believer with a strong faith, I wanted some evidence that positive affirmations would help me to defeat that nagging ugly voice I hear and forge new pathways in my brain. Turns out, there is real science behind the power of positive affirmations.
According to an article in the journal Psychology Today, "affirmations can be a powerful tool to help you change your mood, state of mind, and manifest the change you desire in your life."
The messages you allow to permeate your brain, to really sink in, have the power to actually change your brain, causing new pathways to be formed and old ones abandoned. And then, of course, new pathways lead to new thoughts, new thoughts lead to new actions, specifically, actions that don't include acting on the impulse to eat brownies.
What can positive affirmations do for you?
That little voice in your head criticizes you. It makes you feel guilty, afraid, angry, and unloved. You constantly worry that you might be screwing up your life, that you'll never be able to stand up against these temptations.
These negative thoughts can have power over you if you don't replace them with positive thoughts - truths based in love, peace, and hope.
Research has shown that positive affirmations:
- Combat the negative effects of stress.
- Boost problem-solving abilities.
- Create long lasting feelings of happiness.
These printable positive affirmations will encourage you and lift your mood. They will help you to forge connections in your brain between healthy choices and the life you really want. And, perhaps most important of all, they will remind you to see yourself the way God sees you - a beautiful, beloved, and peaceful child.
When you study these cards daily, you will:
- Feel confident in your ability to make healthy choices
- Treat yourself with patience, respect, and love
- Accept your imperfections without judgement
- Stop beating yourself up about your slips and mistakes
- Feel proud of yourself as you celebrate success
How to use these positive affirmations
Here's what I did with these cards:
- Download the file (um, obviously, right?)
- Print the cards on cardstock
- Cut the cards - they are squares for to make this easy!
- Laminate for durability
- Store in a small box or envelope and keep them in a safe place (Mine are in my underwear drawer.)
- Choose one affirmation to focus on at a time. You might want one per day or one per week, or just change it whenever you feel like it.
- Post somewhere that you will see it several times throughout the day. I like mine on the bathroom mirror, but you could also put it on a kitchen cabinet, the fridge, your car's dashboard, or some other spot.
- Repeat the affirmation three times every time you notice it, preferably out loud. (But I understand if you say it in your mind because there are other people around.)
Download these positive affirmations for overcoming temptation and addiction today to get the encouragement you need!
Claim a mindset of peace and take back your thoughts back from the enemy.
You can be confident and whole again.